• Welcome to MCME!

Minecraft Middle Earth is a Minecraft community that recreates the world described by JRR Tolkien and his writings. Everyone can participate in organized events in which we collaborate to create major landmarks, terrain, caves, castles, towns, farms and more.

To get started, visit The New Player Guide

Joining the server

Joining the server can be done straight away, but you will have to pass the New Player Quiz. Use the The New Player Guide to get acquainted with our community.

IP: build.mcmiddleearth.com

Accepted Artist Application for Matthewvp123

Status
Not open for further replies.

MatthewVP

Slab Fanatic
Supporter
Matthewvp123 for Artist
I joined 8 April, 2016 eager to take part in a community that was, like me, a fan of Tolkien. I explored the Build and Moria servers for over a year before I found that as an Adventurer I could help artists and foremen on their projects and even build my own projects in the Theme World.

I came to know
[COLOR=#00b3b3][B]@QuantaCube[/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000][I][/I][/COLOR], a fantastic foreman, and helped him with a project in Moria called something like "dusting." It was quite the opposite of dusting: instead of removing dust, I was laying dust to make the Moria-hall appear old and unkempt.

About a week or so later, Quanta had another job for me, one that required more trust. He asked me to replicate his design of several arches in his bakery hall in Moria. He was more than pleased with my work and was very appreciative to me for my assistance.

This last week, I finished Tom Bombadil's house in the Theme World. I took me hours of consideration to decide which materials I should use, which style walls and roof I should build, and what interior I should design. I worked on this project every day of the week that the project was open and came to a more than satisfactory result, something that I can take pride in not only for its aesthetic pleasure, but also its lore accuracy. I consulted with many members (including
[COLOR=#006666][B]@Gary_Baggins[/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000][I][/I][/COLOR] and [COLOR=#00b359][B]@Eriol_Eandur[/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000][I][/I][/COLOR], both outstanding in their rank) to ensure that what I was building was true to the server's purpose, to recreate Tolkien's work to the best of our ability. The end result was something that I can celebrate and something that I am happy for others to see.

After working on this theme build, and spending much time in single player honing my skills using the MCME resources, my favorite styles to build are dwarven, Eriador-ic, and gondorian. These styles are not only useful limited to LotR builds, but can be used in making beautiful halls alike to classical architecture.

Over the years, my passion for the MCME project has grown, and recently, has become more steadfast. I have now been committed in working on the theme builds and asking if anyone needs help on a project or needs advice. I feel that I could offer this community another creative mind if given the Artist rank.

Last edited:
Here are some screenshots.

Attachments

• Dusting in Moria.webp
    Dusting in Moria.webp
    289.1 KB · Views: 323
  • 2018-01-21_09.05.12.webp
    2018-01-21_09.05.12.webp
    198.6 KB · Views: 341
  • Inside TBs House.webp
    Inside TBs House.webp
    109.7 KB · Views: 340
  • 2018-01-21_12.20.56.webp
    2018-01-21_12.20.56.webp
    152.1 KB · Views: 337
  • TomBombadil.webp
    TomBombadil.webp
    216.4 KB · Views: 338
  • NeoClassicalConcept.webp
    NeoClassicalConcept.webp
    167 KB · Views: 342
  • HallwayConcept.webp
    HallwayConcept.webp
    59.8 KB · Views: 308
  • MoriaArches.webp
    MoriaArches.webp
    240.6 KB · Views: 311
  • MoriaFloorDesign.webp
    MoriaFloorDesign.webp
    271.6 KB · Views: 328
Wow. Well this is definitely the most eloquent Artist application I've ever read.

As for your screenshots: add more of them especially more shots of your Theme Build. You can hardly see anything of Tom's house in that pic at all. Luckily for you I happened to stumble across your TB some days ago and although it was mostly just in passing my initial thought was "oh, one of our long time members decided to make a tb, I wonder if it's an artist, foreman or designer who built it" but I guess it was you. Good job. Sadly I didn't take too close a look but from what I remember and from what little I see in your screenshots I think you nailed it. After having looked very closely I still can't find anything that doesn't seem to follow even our highest standards of building but please add at least one shot of the house itself as well.

The other build or builds... I can't tell if they're the same building or different but I guess it is something you built in single player. I'm gonna assume for now that they're two different buildings.
The first one is certainly big and imposing but I'd say that it lacks in details. All-white buildings are notoriously difficult to decorate as it often looks flat even with different texture patterns so to make a white build look detailed one has to play a lot with depth. And that's something your other white building does very well, with the walls being up to three blocks thick in places using walls, fences and stairs to add shape. However the courtyard in front of the buildings and the fence surrounding it is very plain and boring.

Honestly there isn't much constructive feedback I can give you that you doesn't seem to know already so all in all I think that you have what it takes to be an excellent artist and were it up to me I would possibly have accepted your application here and now.

Hey Matthew, thank you for your application!

Sorry for late response. I like your Bombadil's house very much. The interior has a lot of details and is very lore accurate. The outide of the house and the surroundings are very nice too. Anyway the level of details could be improved still. You could try some bushes, a small kitchen garden and some smaller trees for example.
So your Bombadil's house Themed-build is very good I would like to ask you to build another Themed-build. It's very important that Artists have good skills with various builds. Thus I would be very interested in your version of an orc-camp (Mordor project is drawing near).

Update: Dol Amroth Market-Job

Today I have finished designing and erecting a market in Dol Amroth. This market includes a variety vendors (food, clothing, books, etc.) and tables for their customers. Though this is a small addition to the DA project, every detail counts. I am happy with the result and am thankful to have contributed to the almost-completed city.

Attached are some screenshots.

Attachments

• DAMarket1.webp
    DAMarket1.webp
    126.3 KB · Views: 302
  • DAMarket2.webp
    DAMarket2.webp
    142.3 KB · Views: 309
  • DAMarket3.webp
    DAMarket3.webp
    147 KB · Views: 280
  • DAMarket4.webp
    DAMarket4.webp
    144.1 KB · Views: 297
Hey Matthew,

@BWOT, @Darki and I reviewed your application today. Your Bombadil's house is really good. You spend a lot of attention to details and lore accuracy. Your orc camp seems quite empty but probably it's not finished.
You almost convinced us which is very hard by just one Themed-build. As I mentioned before an Artist should have good building skills with various things. Thus we would like to ask you to finish your orc camp Themed-build and do a house in Royal Town of Dol Amroth on your own with all interiors. I gave you a plot there. It's the house of a rich man who is in the council of the prince. To get there do /plot warp ArtistTrials 1.

Looking forward to your build
-Eriol

Hey Matthew,

@BWOT, @Darki and I reviewed your application today. Your Bombadil's house is really good. You spend a lot of attention to details and lore accuracy. Your orc camp seems quite empty but probably it's not finished.
You almost convinced us which is very hard by just one Themed-build. As I mentioned before an Artist should have good building skills with various things. Thus we would like to ask you to finish your orc camp Themed-build and do a house in Royal Town of Dol Amroth on your own with all interiors. I gave you a plot there. It's the house of a rich man who is in the council of the prince. To get there do /plot warp ArtistTrials 1.

Looking forward to your build
-Eriol
Are we allowed to give feedback while they build the house

Using feedback to improve buildings is an important skill for Artists. So yes, give feedback if you are asked for your opinion about something. Just don't care for every detail as you would in an ordinary job.

Sorry my mistake. Please don't give feedback or help with the Aritst Trial houses.

Last edited:
Hello @Matthewvp123 ,

@Eriol_Eandur , @Darki and I have went over your artist challenge build today. For being a commoner and having close to none help we are stunned at your performance and so I would like to congratulate you to the purple legion!

So what did we like about your build:
  • Your exteriors were different but still in style and you produced an excellent result which we are very happy with.
  • Your interior except for the roof (inside) and the basement were spot on. Maybe a bit conservative but for a first house in main world, a job well done.
There is still a bit to improve on your artist challenge build as I mentioned (roof inside and the cellar), but we believe you are at a point where you will learn the rest of the tricks through being an Artist. Make sure to go through the training courses made so far if not already done so.

Congratulations again and I will promote you (or Fin) when we are on the server at the same time.

-BWOT

Congratulations Mr. Matthewvp and welcome to the Purple Legion! If you want to you may now warp to /warp Artist Base and add your name to one of the pillars in the Hall of Artists. Oh and if you want you may also grab a set of Artist's Armor outside the gate. Welcome to the Purple Legion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back