• Welcome to MCME!

Minecraft Middle Earth is a Minecraft community that recreates the world described by JRR Tolkien and his writings. Everyone can participate in organized events in which we collaborate to create major landmarks, terrain, caves, castles, towns, farms and more.

To get started, visit The New Player Guide

Joining the server

Joining the server can be done straight away, but you will have to pass the New Player Quiz. Use the The New Player Guide to get acquainted with our community.

IP: build.mcmiddleearth.com

• Did you know you can upload your screenshots to your own Media section?.You can get ratings and comments on the uploaded material!

DarthXander's Ring Hunt Explained!

DarthXander_GIRL

Is going on an adventure!
Supporter
Credits
XP
1654009805457.png
WHO LAST SAW THE RING?

This hunt seemed to stump most of you quite a bit, with only a few people finding the Ring, and only one before the final clue, so as Exeter and Hover did, I have provided an explanation of my clues!

The Poem: Style, Inspiration, and Story
Unlike the wonderful hunts that inspired me (Exeter and Hover), this poems does not directly follow the style of any from Tolkien's works, and is in fact completely original. From the very first verse you are clued in that Gollum is the central character, and the following verses follow his journey backwards in time from his reclamation of the Ring and subsequent destruction in Mt. Doom, to the moment he first lost it near Goblin Town under High Pass. The poem in its entirety is included below.

Clue 1
The first clue marks the end of Gollum's journey, and the beginning of yours. It establishes the point in time where the Ring ("The one to Rule them") was reclaimed by him, then ultimately destroyed when he fell from the bridge in the Cracks of Doom to a fiery death in the lava below. Note: one savvy Adventurer figured out the pattern from this very first clue, finding the Ring on Day 2. After that it was not found again until the final clue, so special shout out to Iron_Eagl for figuring it out so quickly!

Clue 2
The second clue travels from Mt. Doom to Cirith Ungol, the Pass of the Spider, aka Shelob's Lair. This clue tells how Gollum betrayed Frodo and Sam, intending their deaths at the hands of Shelob. "A Hobbit felled, another yelled, himself into a darkened well" speaks to Frodo falling, paralyzed by the spider's venom, Sam, yelling in anger and anguish at his master's fall, fending off Shelob, and knocking Gollum "into a darkened well". All of this takes place near the Tower of Cirith Ungol, where the Two Watchers later let off an alarm when Sam and Frodo escape.

Clue 3
The third clue again travels, this time detailing how Gollum leads Sam and Frodo through Emyn Muil, a maze of razor sharp peaks. Then onward through the Dead Marshes to the Black Gate, which is said to be unassailable and impenetrable by spies, hence the only ones who could pass are Sauron's vassal armies, led by "kings of hate".

Clue 4
The fourth clue is a bit more broad in scope, rapidly skipping over the journey Gollum took tracking the Fellowship from the Mirrormere outside of Moria, all the way to the "Golden Clear' (Clearing)" of Lothlórien, then into the River Anduin where he was once seen spying, "lowly peering" over a log in the water.

Clue 5
The fifth and final clue came with two verses, to denote that Gollum (and the Ring) lingered here longest. Gollum spent several hundred years here after being banished from his people in Gladden Fields, and slowly became wraith-like due to the power of the Ring, shunning the sun and eating only fish and orcs from Goblin Town.

The sixth verse goes on to point specifically to the ring's location, hidden in the secret entrance to Goblin Town underneath high pass, where Bilbo and Co. would ultimately find themselves on their journey to Erebor. The clue says "Though mapped, 'tis not! You'll have to roam" because the area around High Pass and under the Misty Mountains has not yet been completed, so the nearest warp is actually Rivendell, meaning you'll have to roam on foot (or in fly mode) for a while to find the lone tunnel 'neath High Pass, and the cutout where the entrance to Goblin Town will eventually go.

There was another Easter Egg in the 5th Clue as well. The phrase "Ho, Ho, my lads! You go, my lads!" actually comes from the lyrics to Down to Goblin Town in the Rankin/Bass animated edition of The Hobbit

1654014919647.png

The Poem in its Entirety

Midst Doom's dark fire he did acquire
The One to Rule them, his desire.
Though while he leapt, he soon was swept
Into fiery cavern cleft,
And of him World was soon bereft.
And of him World was soon bereft.

In mountain lair, he set a snare
With Spider, whom he did prepare.
A hobbit felled, another yelled,
Himself into a darkened well,
Near tower of alarming bell.
Near tower of alarming bell.

Through Emyn Muil and peaks of steel,
A maze to wander, what is real?
And then to gate of blackened slate,
Past murky swamp and watery fate,
Where none could pass save kings of hate.
Where none could pass save kings of hate.

It never failed, behind he trailed,
Sneaking o'er hill and dale.
From Mirrormere to Golden Clear'
He tracked them, watched them, low he peered,
Silent, muttering, drawing near.
Silent, muttering, drawing near.

For many years of wailing tears
He languished, banished from his peers.
'Neath Misty crags, now dressed in rags,
He brooded, fish and orcs he bagged,
Now wraith-like in his age, he lagged.
Now wraith-like in his age, he lagged.

They found at last, so near High Pass

The Ring that Gollum lost, alas!
'Neath rock and stone, in tunnel lone,
at secret entrance, Goblin Home.
Though mapped, 'tis not! You'll have to roam.
Though mapped, 'tis not! You'll have to roam.

Well done to everyone who found the ring, and thank you for all who searched for it; I really hope you enjoyed the hunt!
(Poster by @Pausi ; also credit to @ExeterKered and @HoverKing for proofreading my clues and helping me with various grammatical nuances along the way!)

Last edited: